mantis shrimp

sparker

Medium Fish
Aug 22, 2005
ohio
ok i saw what i think is a mantis shrimp, might be a pistol, however i didn't see any pinchers. just made a pop bottle trap and was wondering what i should use for bait? and if and when i catch it would anyone want it?

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
if its a pistol its fine in your tank as long as your rock work is stable, even could get a goby and they might pair off. any kind of meaty fare(seafood) not like beef or something. but shrimp, crab, clam ect... will work fine for bait.

ram man

Superstar Fish
Apr 16, 2005
Arizona
they arent bad shrimp. poeple make them out to be the spawn of satan. can you post a pic? if its a smasher and is small you need not worry about the tank cracking. if its a spearer. you will loose fish quickly.

sparker

Medium Fish
Aug 22, 2005
ohio
well the trap is set i baited it with a small peice of shrimp. I will get a pic if i can, that little sucker is like a rocket. pretty coll looking "shrimp" but i don't want to risk the fish that i actually want to be in the tank getting munched.

ram man

Superstar Fish
Apr 16, 2005
Arizona
keep him! he is a small smasher! try to get a pic of the meral spots!(spots on th iner side of the claws. if you dont want him someone on reef central will take him! they will pay you to!

ram man

Superstar Fish
Apr 16, 2005
Arizona
Common name: None

Functional type: Smasher

Range: Caribbean; Florida to Panama and Curacao

Habitat: Coral reefs; often found in live coral

Depth: 3–50 m

Home: Cavities in live coral; often has more than one cavity

Diet: Generalist; small crustaceans and gastropods

Size: 7–70 mm

Color: Brown, olive or light green; white spots on back; telson carinae and teeth green or bluish green; raptorial dactyl blue; meral spot white

Distinguishing Characters: Orange area at base of the eyestalks; telson with spined dorsal submedian and median carinae and spined marginal teeth

Activity: Diurnal; quite reclusive

Aquarium Requirements:
Temperature: 23–28° C

Salinity: 34–35 PSU

Cohabitants: Will eat very small crustaceans and gastropods

Aquarium size (adult): 40 l

Aquarium substrate: Sand and gravel, LR or rubble, cavity

Suitability for Aquarium: Somewhat difficult; shy; requires very stable, good water parameters

Availability: Occasionally found as hitchhiker in shipments of LR from Florida and Caribbean

sparker

Medium Fish
Aug 22, 2005
ohio
ok so he won't be a problem, right? it's only about one and a half inches in length. I'm just a bit leary of it tho, but I'll do a little quick research in that site that ram man posted. and i'm going to post a few more pics be back in a minute or two.

ram man

Superstar Fish
Apr 16, 2005
Arizona
i am guessing the species i mentioned because of the orange eye stocks and blue raptoral appendages. if you want to keep him in a seperate tank get an arcrilic ten gallon. and dont worry about the glass. a peacock mantis wouldnt be able to crack it. and they get big to(the peacoks) yours will probably be at most 3 inches