Many Gouramies

rshxt9

Large Fish
Sep 18, 2006
rolla, missouri
I have a nice tank with two pink kissers (females), two blues (male and female) , a betta and a bottom sucker. I was wondering if this is a good combination or do i need to change something to prevet one of them from getting hurt?

Dipschnit

Small Fish
Sep 12, 2006
Richmond,Va
I would worry about the kissers, they can sometimes be rather aggressive. I would say in 10 gal. you will most likely have a problem with them. I would increase tank size if money permits, or get them their own tank since the 10 you have is kinda crowded.

Hope this helps,
Charlie

rshxt9

Large Fish
Sep 18, 2006
rolla, missouri
they don't seem to be havin gmuch trouble... the only time they were agressive was after teh first feeding, and i think that was to establish who was 'top dog'. they don't bother any of the others, just each other and just that once.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I hope you know that you'll need a much larger tank for the kissing gouramis. They easily get to 10" each!

To be honest, a betta and mixed gouramis isn't a good combination. Most gouramis don't get on well with eachother, and don't get on with bettas, either. The "kissing" that kissing gouramis do is actually an act of aggression, not love.

rshxt9

Large Fish
Sep 18, 2006
rolla, missouri
i know that it is a sign of aggression, and that they grow large. they haven't shown any signs of aggression for near 20 hours and haven't bothered the betta at all. the only one i'm starting to get worried about is the sucker because he hasn't moved. not dead, just not traveling around the tank.

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
Not to be rude, but I think you are misunderstanding here. The Kissers will need a massive tank and are not acceptable in a 10gal even if they are small now.

Also, I am not sure if you have dwarf gouramis or blue gouramis, but if these are blue (3 spot) gouramis, they should really have a bigger tank as well.

If I were you I would get a 2.5-6 gallon for the betta and if you want to keep the kissers, go out and get at least a 75gal. If you can take the kissers back, that would probably be best.

If the gouramis are dwarfs, they may be OK in a 10gal by themselves, but if they are 3 spots, I would get them in at least a 30gal.