Marine Additives....

IDunnoWhy

Superstar Fish
Nov 16, 2006
Deerfield, WI
Hey everyone!

I was paging through the most resent issue of TFH (man I love that rag) and I keep seeing page after page of ads for marine supplements e.g. calcium additives etc.

I was under the impression that between a quality salt mix & routine WC's that you replenish your trace elements. With the possible exception of Hard corals that may need the calcium boost. (there may be other creatures that benefit as well, but I don't know)

What gives? I mean are these things all hype?

The best example is "Purple Up" it's suppose to increase your coraline algae growth, but doesn't that just happen naturally?

Are any of these additives actually required? If so which ones? What am I missing? :confused:

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
your right routine wc's are all u need in a tank that small/young .... u never want to add anything u cant test for and btw all purle up is is just a calcium suplement ;)

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
As soon as you have corals, you should test for calcium and alkalinity regularly, as if they're not in balance, your corals will decline. You can get calcium and alkalinity supplements to add. That's really all you need. Some people test for and add magnesium, which affects the calcium/alk. relationship.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
The only time you will need to supplement is if you are adding sps and other hard corals that will deplete your ca levels. If you start to add these without ensuring that they are all in balance....alk, ca and magnesium you will run into problems. Tre is right, just do frequent water changes and you should be fine, get a ca and alk test and test for these if you want, they should be in the 400 and 4.00 meq/l range with magnesium running about 3 times your ca .

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
its not the water itself that replenishes the trace elements its actualy the salt mix...this is why its a good idea to get a good quality brand like reef crystals or something similar