Mass cichlid death

IronRyno

Medium Fish
Jun 28, 2005
St. Pete, FL
Need some help please. I've always wanted to do an African cichlid tank. I like the zebra/mbuna variety. About 2 months ago, I had a peaceful community aquarium. Couple black widow tetras, one gourami, one Cory cat, two nice size plecos, a few barbs, etc. etc.

I added about 4 small zebra cichlids. No aggression, no problems. I knew eventually the cichlids would take care of the community fish, and I was ok with that. 2 weeks later, I add 4 more zebras. No community fish killed. Everything going great.

About 10 days ago, 2 months after adding the first African, I noticed 1 African dead. No apparent reason, just dead. He was perfectly fine the night before. Next day, another one. I have been losing African cichlids one per day until today the last one died. Community fish are fine. Never better.

Now I did notice that the last three to die did exhibit small signs of ich. Not covered head to toe, just a few spots. Nothing on the non-cichlids. As soon as I saw this I ramped the temp up to 88. Well that didn't help anything and the last cichlid died today.

I am returning the water to about 80 and going forward with my peaceful fish. I can't believe I lost all those African cichlids and not a single non cichlid died.

What happened? Please help me with suggestions if you can. I am At a loss.

Thanks.

90 gallon tank

Now down to about 6 fish

IronRyno

Medium Fish
Jun 28, 2005
St. Pete, FL
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 180 +
Ph is probably really low

I have kept successful new world cichlid tanks and peaceful community tanks and my nitrate reading has always been high. I don't know why, but it's never seemed to bother any fish.

Strange that only the Africans would die.

Feb 27, 2009
I've never heard of fish living with nitrate that high. No suggestions other than cleaner water.

pH may be an issue as Africans need a harder water than the other fish you mention keeping.

djm761

Large Fish
Mar 21, 2011
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 180 +
Ph is probably really low

I have kept successful new world cichlid tanks and peaceful community tanks and my nitrate reading has always been high. I don't know why, but it's never seemed to bother any fish.

Strange that only the Africans would die.
:eek: :confused: