Master Test Kit Reading Levels

GJM

New Fish
Mar 1, 2006
My question is very simple, so simple that it is confusing me a bit. When I set up my 30 gal freshwater tank and I use my Master Freshwater test kit it states the average appriopriate levels for a tank. I am confused when I either try to raise or lower a particluar level. If I have to raise a level on any chart do I have to read up on the test card or to raise a level I would use the higher numerical value for my goal? For example if I have to raise a PH-level from 6.5to 7.0, do I look up on the card or do I follow the higher number itself?

GJM

I'm not really sure what you're asking. Can you try to explain it again?

I will tell you this though, unless you're trying to keep certain hard water species(African cichlids, etc.), you'll do more harm than good by adjusting the PH. Despite what the supposed 'experts' will tell you, 90% of freshwater fish will do perfectly well, or even thrive, in 6.5. My tank was at 6.0 for a year and a half, and everyone did fine, especially my tetras, cories and loaches(Who prefer slightly acidic water).

Just to prove my point, the river by my parent's house (Gander River) is arond 6.0, and drops to 5.5 with the spring runoff. It also has the second or third (IIRC) largest Atlantic salmon population in canada.

Last edited:

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Welcome to the site :)

I'm not sure what you're asking exactly. The color in the test tube gets compared to the color on the chart, so the closest color match tells you the level.

In general, ammonia and nitrite should be zero in a cycled tank, but often the "advice" in the booklet about hardness, pH etc. are there to sell you more products.