Max Temp for an African Dwarf Frog?

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
I went away on vacation last weekend and unfortunately the weather was in the high 90s for a the entire weekend. I came back yesterday and noticed that the temps in my 6 gal tank was above 86 F.

I also noticed that my ADF was missing. I tried looking for it among the plants but didnt find it. I also looked around my tank to see if it jumped out but didnt find a thing.

My question is.....is 86 F or higher too hot for an ADF? Could it have died in the tank and got eaten by my tetras and shrimps over the last three days that I wasnt there? I cant seem to find any evidence of it...even during feeding time.

I have a feeling it died and was, um, scavenged by the other residents of the tank..

SANND

Large Fish
Jul 20, 2005
Washington, DC
86 is a bit high but I've seen 84 as the upper temp for them so if he did die it might not have been the heat. At feeding time, have you tried swishing some frozen bloodworm in the water to encourage him to come out?

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
hmm..I'm not sure what happened. I had my hood open when I went on vacation so that my fish tank wouldnt overheat too much. However, I havent seen any mummified frogs on the floor.

I fed my fishes last night with a cube of frozen bloodworms...he usually comes out when he smells them but not this time. No evidence of the frog.

If the fish ate his dead body...would there be a skeleton around? Do ADF's have bones?

:(

SANND

Large Fish
Jul 20, 2005
Washington, DC
Yeah, they have bones but that doesn't mean you'd be able to see them especially if they blend in with your substrate.

He might just be hiding still because he was stressed out from the change in routine while you were gone. One of mine went into hiding for nearly two weeks recently and only just started floating around again last week. I wouldn't give up hope just yet. :)

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
2 weeks?! They can go that long w/o food? wow.

I suppose my frog could be hiding...its a heavily planted tank and I have lots of fake caves and stuff for my fish to hide in...

I should prob find some way to put a screen or mesh over my open tank from now on...