Maybe some good news!

Dragon

Small Fish
Mar 12, 2006
Tennessee
I may be getting excited too quickly, but I just tested my tank, and here are the results:

ammonia = 0ppm
nitrite = 0ppm
nitrate = 0ppm
pH = 7.6-7.8

I introduced a heater in there today, and the fish has been a lot more active. Maybe he was just cold? It was only about a five degree change (70 to 75). He still doesn't appear to be eating, but the Apple Snail will eat the food, and I haven't fed them since I introed the heater.

Now that the results are looking promising, should I continue to do daily water changes, or just keep an eye on the water conditions?

Thanks!

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
If your levels are all at zero, you won't need to do daily water changes, but you will need to monitor them every day if you recently had a problem.

Bettas are really sensitive to cold water. They like it closer to 78F. If you can get your heater up a little, the betta would appreciate it. :)

Dragon

Small Fish
Mar 12, 2006
Tennessee
Thanks a lot for the advice. =)

I will monitor the tank about every other day or something to ensure everything is all still good.

I didn't know that Bettas like the higher temperatures like that. I guess seeing them swim around in those tiny bowls at the pet stores gives a lot of people a lot of wrong ideas. I'll see if I can bump up the temperature a bit more. He's been much more active. =)

Thanks again!