maybe starting a saltwater tank.

zigzag131

Large Fish
Apr 10, 2009
I would love to have a saltwater tank, but im kind of weary about the costs of keeping it up and getting it started.

as of right now i have a 10 gallon and about to have a 110 gallon tank that will be free to use and i have a 20 gallon laying around somewhere.

i wouls guess that the 10 or 20 gallon would be cheaper to get started and to keep up but ive also been reading that the smaller the tank the harder.

so i guess my biggest question is for a beginner should i just set up my 10 or 20 to get the hang of it then go bigger? or should i start with my 110?

Nov 11, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I would say your best bet is neither, in my opinion a 55 gallon would be ideal for a beginner tank. I definitely won't say you can't pull off something smaller, my first tank was a 40 gallon tank and it did great. Do you have any friends that are into saltwater or family, etc? That would be a great help as you can get a lot of help from those people and even take some of their sand and water to help start your tank, if they're willing. best thing to do is keep asking questions, the one question you think is too dumb to ask is probably the one you need to be asking NOW hehehe!

zigzag131

Large Fish
Apr 10, 2009
my aunt has a slatwater tank. and if need be i can grab a 55 gallon tank or a 40 gallon tank.

i just want to give saltwater a try and i just dont want to start out with a tank thats way over my head

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
We started with a 125g saltwater. The startup costs were high -- probably about $2000, not including the tank.

A 40g breeder or something similar would be a good size without a huge expense. A pre-drilled tank or one with built-in overflows for a sump will make your life much easier.

zigzag131

Large Fish
Apr 10, 2009
its a rectangle she had a reef tank but sold what she had in it due to not having money to maintain it she said. so i just need to buy the stuff for it.

and when i say custom it does have the overflows. and i do not know the dimensions but i can measure it when i see her again

May 30, 2008
Midland, MI
Zigzag, goog luck with the tank, you should have fun. I have been setting up a 55g tank and have spent near $700 without the cost of the tank and buying most stuff used. I have to spend $150-$200 on liverock yet and close to that on substrate as well, so you are looking at over $1000 for startup buying used and searching for good deals, without any fish.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
A 60g would be a good first tank.

Also, look into the ongoing costs for salt, electricity, lightbulbs, water (for RO), food etc. It's probably not more than about $20 or $30 a month most of the time, but some months you may need to spend close to $100 or more for something that needs replacing.

BalaShark

Large Fish
Dec 5, 2005
All info above is valid, but once you have the 55G setup and cycled and stuff is growing, you'll kick your self because you didn't do the 110G. Just my opinion.