Mean Opaline

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
I have a small (2 inch) opaline gourami in my 37 gallon. She (I think) chases my catfish off the bottom whenever he is near.

What can I do to make her leave the catfish alone? I plan on getting at least one more catfish soon. Will another gourami distract her from the catfish?

I don't really want to get rid of her, because my antisocial angel seems to like her...but I'd rather not have her hurt the catfish (I like him better than her).

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
It's most likely a he. Definitely don't get another, one will harass the other to death. I know you don't want to get rid of it, but it may be the best thing.

Do you have plenty of hiding spaces for the catfish? Gouramis also appreciate some dense plant areas to call their own. That might help them keep away from eachother.

By the way, your neons will eventually have to be rehoused before they become snacks for your angels.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Yeah, I ended up returning the opaline. I thought it was a female because it had rounded fins. Not that it really matters.

I also know that the angels may eventually be a problem with the neons. If they start getting harrassed, I will swap them with the paradise in the 10 gallon, and maybe the danios too. The angels aren't bigger than a half dollar yet, so I figure I've got plenty of time.