Measuring

yilduz

Small Fish
Oct 8, 2010
I've been looking at different animals and their needs, and I've seen several things that need to be measured, but I was wondering if there is anything I haven't seen or noticed. So far what I've seen to measure is nitrites, nitrates, ammonia, PH level, water hardness, and temperature. Is there anything else I'm unaware of? Also, how often should this all be measured?

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
Ummm so you get a stick on thermometer, and get the temp right, that really should require very little adjustment once you get it right.

Then you measure PH once, take note. (i don't screw with PH personally, just let it be as it is from the tap)

Then do a fishless cycle and follow the steps.

Once you are cycled check your levels weekly or bi weekly as you do water changes, as well as anytime you have trouble with your tank.

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
It can be useful to measure your tapwater's pH and water hardness so you know if you are really off the charts either way or if you are going to try keeping/breeding more sensitive critters, but what you want to be able to check at any time at home are ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. If you don't already have them, invest in liquid test kits for these three, and don't fret too much about other parameters.

Aug 13, 2010
Sicklerville, NJ
Not sure if you know or not, but besides measuring you will need to dechlorinate your water if it has chlorine in it from the tap. Most people use a product called Prime, I use Stress Coat and some people fill a can of sorts with water and let it sit for a few days with a power head to let the chlorine out.

yilduz

Small Fish
Oct 8, 2010
Thank you for the responses. I felt it was important to ask because I kept seeing people in this forum talk about measuring nitrites, nitrates, and ammonia. Also, on any website that sells fish, with each fish they listed what ph range, temperature range, and water hardness range each fish could tolerate. Is that not as important as they make it seem?

Aug 13, 2010
Sicklerville, NJ
It is important if the fish are sensitive or are wild caught as opposed to tank breed. But for most common fish you find in the chains or even smaller LFS (Local Fish store) as long as it is not to one extreme or the other, you will be fine.