meat eaters?

fishums

Small Fish
Aug 3, 2009
I have a ten gallon tank with three inch an a half african Cichlids and a pleco in it (i have a 55 cycling for them right now i just haven't moved them yet). Anyway the thicker of the three africans bullies the others around and because of him one of the smaller ones normally hangs out at the top of the tank. When i went to work yesterday everyone was fine but when i got home the smaller one was gone. All that was left was a little white frame that the pleco was eating. What happened? Plecos eat meat?

misterking

Superstar Fish
Aug 12, 2008
Manchester, UK
www.facebook.com
Plecos often rasp the flesh off dead fish. Was the smaller one gasping at the top? You may have ammonia issues coz that's quite a lot for a 10g even if it is only short term. Of course, it may have died from stress from being bullied by the dominant cichlid.

fishums

Small Fish
Aug 3, 2009
Ammonia issues may very well be the cause because the water has been quite cloudy lately but im not sure because i have been using these things called Algae Grazers for the pleco. They are little leaf shaped green things that i was told to put in the tank daily and have been using them for about a month. As far as food for the Cichlids i use Wardley Cichlid flakes and only sprinkle a few of them so i figured the cloudiness might be from the algae trying to build up because there don't seem to be any in the tank. Does any of this seem out of place? Should i cut back on the Algae Grazers?

Feb 27, 2009
If it were me, I'd only feed the fish every other day until you can get them in the larger tank. Since you have an uncycled 10gallon and an uncycled 55gallon, it may be better to put them in the 55gallon.

Plecos will eat whatever they find and if it is a type that gets large, they eat more meaty foods as they get larger.

Cloudy water usually indicates a bloom of bacteria. But if its enough to consume the bioload in the 10gallon, only proper water testing would tell.

What type of testing kit are you using? How are you cycling the 55gallon tank?

Last edited:

fishums

Small Fish
Aug 3, 2009
well the ten gallon was never properly cycled because i set it up before i found this site. As far as the 55 goes, i took the filter that came with it and ran it in the 10 gallon tank for a day then set up the 55 and put it in there to boost the bacteria. I also put stress zyme and aquarium salt in there and have been running it empty now for about 3 days. I don't have a test kit because the tank kit absorbed most of my extra money that don't go to bills and such but i shuld have one in a few weeks. I was also informed at the store that their is a minimum need of pound of rocks for gallon of water, is this true? If so its going to be even longer before i can put the fish in the 55. 55 pounds of rock wont be cheap.