Medi-vase??

Parkedout

Medium Fish
Dec 6, 2012
My betta is having some spot issues. I'm thinking probably ich. My trouble is I can't treat that tank with meds because I have a little nerite snail living in there. I thought I might move the betta to a large vase and treat that water for a bit so I don't have to transfer the snail around.

If I do water changes daily- do you think this could work?

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
If those poor buggers can survive as well as they do in tiny plastic cups, he'll be fine in a large vase so long as you keep it warm and the water clean. Do meds effect snails that much? I'd be more apt to re-home the snail for now to get the bad bugs out of their main living quarters. Or better yet, re-home both of them for now and crank the heat up in the tank to kill off the ich. From what I've read, no fish in the tank and temps in the upper 80F range will kill the ich bugs.

FWIW, my male betta in his own 10gal, along with 4 (crazy hyper) Zebra Danios is one happy betta!

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
I don't know how you know the snail will be fine with the salt. Salt is sometimes used to kill snails and slugs - have you read up on using salt in your tank?

Parkedout

Medium Fish
Dec 6, 2012
I figured that since a nerite is a salt water snail as well it should be fine. Of course that may be two types of salt.

I will have to look that up too I guess.

Parkedout

Medium Fish
Dec 6, 2012
@thyra

My reading suggests that not only is salt safe for my snail, the nerite snail can only reproduce in brackish water. So looks like Bump can handle a tablespoon of aquarium salt.

Thanks so much for the suggestions, all. I would love to continue only using water changes and salt and heat as medicines as possible. Chemicals make me a little nervous.