Media cleaning help

Apr 7, 2005
NUNYA
Hi I have a 20 gallon tank with 2 whisper's hanging on the back. I haven't cleaned the media since I had the tank up and running, approx 2 months. I have been reading on the posts to clean the media clean it in some of the tank water while you do a water change. But I have a question. I do water changes with a python, so the water that comes out of my tank goes right down the drain.
If I close the plug on the sink and rinse it off in there with the tank water and fresh water mixed, will that hurt my filter media? What about the bacteria that is in the filter will I wash that all away???? I think that has been why I have been hesitant to clean them.
I do know that when I do clean the filters I am going to clean one one day and the other the next.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I think I would suggest just filling a bucket with tank water. The problem with rinsing your catridges in "fresh" water is that there is chlorine in that fresh water that kills bacteria. SO if you rinse those cartridges in chlorinated water....bye bye bacteria. This is why we say rinse them in tank water. You can easily just put the end of the python in a bucket or in the sink...not attached to anything...and start it siphoning the old fashioned way SUCK ON IT and then rinse your cartridges out in that water.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
duhh I didn't even think of that :D Blonde moment...I have done that too...and it'd probably be easier to fill a bucket up with tap water (in the shower etc) and then add dechlor :D Lotus you're a genius