Melafix for Finrot or something stronger?

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
I noticed yesterday that my neon tetras were developing signs of finrot. I immediately did a WC with vacuum and ran out to get some Melafix. I dosed accordingly but this morning I noticed that there seems to be no improvement.

The directions say to dose for 7 days and then do a 25% WC.

I'm wondering if I should switch to something stronger like Maracyn I or II or a real antibiotic. Or should I give Melafix a few days? Or should I combine with Pimafix?

I'm concerned cause tetras are so wimpy and I dont think I have alot of time to experiement with medications...

thanks for any advice!

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I think you should stick with the one you picked. They wouldn't necessarily look any better that soon. If they don't start looking better in the next couple days, or start looking a lot worse then you might change, but dont forget changing medications could be even more stress on them...so I'm not sure that would be something I'd try.

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
hmm ok..i'll give it a few more days. I read over at the Disease section that ppl have combined it with Pimafix. Do you think this will help?

Also..I think I may have slightly overdosed last night. Thats not dangerous is it?

Actually the smell of Melafix makes me gag! :(

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
my roomie uses tea tree oil on her feet...I was like..UGH!!! Its bad enuf to smell it in my room(where my tank is)..now I have to smell it in the whole house??

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
UPDATE:

Well ok...I must say that I am fully convinced of the power of Melafix. After only 3 days of dosing, all but one of my neon tetras have recovered. I mean there are no traces on their fins at all except for one..and that particular neon only has a tiny bit left.

I figure one or two more days of dosing and it should be gone from my tank.

Thanks everyone for their input and advice!!