melafix questions

Nov 5, 2009
CT
i got some melafix for my cory who has some fin problems. i put in the correct dose for the first two days. on the third day the tank smelled really funky. the melafix smelled strange enough on its own but the tank smelled like.....really salty water with melafix. i tested the water and the ph was strangely low, 6.2. i did a big water change and stopped the melafix. i also noticed my tetras acting strange, staying mostly on the bottom. am i supposed to have activated carbon in the filter during the treatment? i've also seen some people really hating on melafix on the internet, something about it clogging up fishes gills. what should i do?

Mar 26, 2011
Malden, MA
Huh... my tank just smells melafix-y when I dose it. Definitely not briny at all. Something like a combination of spearmint and black licorice (anise). Mouthwashy. Fancy shampooy.

I don't have activated carbon in the filter when I use it, but then I don't usually have activated carbon in the filter. There isn't anybody dead in a corner of the tank that could account for the smell? I'd say the water change is a good idea. I'd keep it up. Odd.

aakaakaak

Superstar Fish
Sep 9, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
Please take note that you need to dose EXTREMELY light because of your scaleless fish. Additionally, you should get off the melafix and switch to betafix. Melafix, if overdosed, can kill labyrinth fish like bettas and gouramis. It irritates their labyrinth organ.