melt the tank?

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
Heaters have that suction cup thing to hold them in position, not touching the tank side. I only have glass tanks, so I really don't know for sure, but I would think that it'd be okay as long as the heater isn't touching the side.
I really don't know either about using a much bigger heater than you need in a small tank. I've pretty much been fortunate to get hold of just enough heater to heat a tank. Probably ought to wait for some knowledgeable replies before jumping in.

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
I don't know. I've never had it happen to me, but I wouldn't try it.

I've had a couple of heaters there were suposed to turn themselves off when they wern't in water, and I noticed that once during a water change that the heaters did not turn themselves off and was quickly evaporating any water that touched it. If you've ever sprayed or splashed water on either a grill or a skillit, you know how quick the evaporation happens, and the heater was evaporating just as quickly as any of these. It was freaky.

zoo minsi

Large Fish
Jan 8, 2005
michigan
Visit site

Sandtiger

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2005
Simi Valley, CA
The holders keep the heater from coming in contact with the tank walls, but I wouldn't try it. There is a slight possibilty that it could malfunction or somthing that would cause the temperature to melt plastic.

mandakay

Small Fish
Feb 9, 2006
southren KY
thanks for the input everyone.
i went and bought me a heater and tank today. i ended up no getting an acrylic and got a glass 5 gal tank.
i bought a 50 watt heater, a filter for 5 gal tank, water conditioner, test strips, gravle, decorations, a couple of live plants, and some betta food.
i need to get a lid for it but the heater and the filter sticks out way to far on the top for a lid. i will just have to make one out of wire mesh.
i think my heater isnt working. i think i ended up breaking it trying to use it without reading the instructions (yeah i know, bad manda!)
the heater is sucky anyway because to get the water to the fill line (water has to be to the fill line on the heater for it to work) i have to have my tank nearly all the way up past the little black plastic part!
i think i did good with the filter. it doesnt seem to have a strong current.
and just out of curiousity i used a test strip and my nitrate and ph levels are not the same "color" as the paper says they need to be. and i dont know what to do about that. but since i just got the tank today i am sure i shouldnt stress over it yet.
after running the tank for a week with the right temp, ph,etc levels should it be okay to add my betta and snail?