Melting Xenia

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
GRRRRR.....Well I had an small issue with my tank. I did a major water change and maintenance on Sunday and while doing this the heater gauge somehow got moved upward and by the time I realized what was happening the tank was at 84 degrees. That alone wouldn't be a bad thing but when I reset the thermometer on the heater at 79 the temp in the tank dropped to 76 overnight. Well this morning I got up and half of my xenia has melted into nothing. It was looking peaked and shell shocked yesterday but I was hoping it would pull through. My question is this....as only half is gone does that mean that the remaining is at risk also? or does the small bit that is left have any chance at recovery???? any insight is helpful.......better yet anyone with spare frags they want to donate......yeah yeah yeah.......what ever

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
I think that you should be able to "save" the Xenia. For some reason a while back I lost a good amount of mine and this small portion was left and now its splitting in 2 places and youd never know about the incident. Good Luck Lorna!! *thumbsups

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Thanks Guppy......I really liked that piece and it was doing fine until the big chill......Hopefully it will recover and if not...I will look for more

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
well right now it looks like a glob of pink bubblegum goo on my live rock with two small stalks of polyps that are continuing to pulse.....who knows if it makes it great! if not, I will have to track down some more as it was one of my favourites.

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
it will grow...it is indestructable, when the third world war occurs and and nukes are launched...rats will survive on land...and xenia in the water...I have actively abused and even attempted to kill it in both my tanks...it still thrives in the 90...and grows well in the 40.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Actually wild caught xenia has a rep for being 'hit or miss', with lots of miss. Try to get some tank frags, they are much, much tougher. I'm surprised it disliked the temp drop so much - they reputedly don't do well at higher temps.

Frankly a temp drop like that shouldn't kill very much at all - if it does go I would suspect it of 'living on the edge' anyway.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
thanks for the good thoughts.....I am not sure if it was wild or tank raised.....it was red sea pom pom I beleive. I will try and find some local or close by tank raised......to replace it. Went to a great LFS in Detroit today......very impressed called The Fish Tank on N Wayne Rd in Westland.