metal halide ballast questions

Apr 11, 2006
Will different brand name of metal halide blub other than the one that came from the factory shorten the life of your ballast? Will constantly turning on and off your metal halide ballast three times a day or more damage or shorten the life of your metal halide ballast? Ok, ok, what could possibly shorten the life or damage your metal halide ballast?

TheFool

Large Fish
Apr 19, 2006
First of all is electronic or magnetic? Good manufacturer or nasty cheapo?

Question 1 - different bulbs and differnet ballasts can give radically different output results but any damage is normally on the bulb.
2. No, but it will kill your bulbs lifetime. Why are you needing to turn it on and off. Remember they need about 20 minuets to warm up to full intensity
3. In aquarium enviroments I would think damp and water will be the primary problems, but they do have a finite lifespan.

Apr 11, 2006
It a aqua medic pendent with an aquamacko blub (20000K). Not sure if it is magnetic or electronic. It does get super hot. Yea, my tank is in my room so when I take a nap in my room, I tend to turn it off because the light is too bright, it is like sunlight on your face. So your saying that moist in the air may have some affect on your ballast life span?