Metal halide bulb

Apr 11, 2006
Hi, I just bought an outer orbit fixture and wanted to change the halide blub to a more bluer color because I believe that a more bluer color will bring out the color of my corals. The one that is current in the fixture is 10000k which emits a crisp white light. When the white halide comes on, it just kill the blue color of my one actinic blue pc bulb. I guess my question is will any genric metal halide de blub work with my outer orbit fixture and which bulb should I get, the 14000k or the 20000k??

Last edited:

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I have the outer orbit fixture and I need to replace the mh bulbs and have been looking at the 14K or 20K bulbs as replacements. I will replace both at the same time and I am trying to find some that won't break the bank.....so I am interested in the answer to your question also

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
14k would be the better choice. 20k isnt too blue. i have a 20k in my 10g tank and it lights up my whole room. if your tank is really deep like 24"+ then 20k wouldnt be so bad.

its just that 20k isnt as efficient as the 14k or 10k.

i c some really cheap MH on ebay for a really cheap price.

Jan 16, 2004
Syracuse, NY
What hes asking is if he could put in a different brand bulb into his fixture...

Im not quite sure, but if the bulb is of the right wattage, the ballast can handle it, and if its the right socket type I think it would be ok, as well as style of bulb (mogul, HQI) I would like to see what someone else has to say about this.

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
If he has, say a mogul socket with a ballast that runs a 250watt bulb than any 250 watt bulb should work. I don't see how you could get a HQI bulb to work with the other. I would get a 14k since you already have actinics. I would think as long as it will fit the socket and the ballast supports the wattage it should be fine. What is a de bulb?