metal halide bulbs info

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
nope i noticed that some bulbs look different inside.

theres a fourm that had a thread of someone using all the MH bulbs there is...over 20 shots @.@

he also compared 10k to 20ks...i think 15ks too.

i lost the link tho...

Dec 28, 2005
LA,Ca
For metal halide bulbs there are definitely different. The 10,000k's are usually pure white light and the 12,000k is more blue. well it should pretty much tell you if you look at one of those temperature chart things. hamilton is usually a pretty good brand especially for a big tank because the light spills everywhere. Also aquamedic is pretty good. If you have a nano then a coralife is nice because when you look at it it seems that the light shoot more down.

Apr 11, 2006
Yea, I guess the reason why I asked is because I bought a 2000k de socket bulb about $5.00 on ebay and noticed that there not as much light as my old one and it is not as blue as it should be and it seems like it does not put out as much light as my old one. My old one is from outer orbit and it is 10000K and the new one has no brand name.

TheFool

Large Fish
Apr 19, 2006
No not all bulbs are equal at all, changing bulb from brand A to B can give , lose up to 10, 15% of lumens for the same wattage used, and change the colour a lot, as can moving the same bulb from ballast A to ballast B. Matching bulbs to ballasts is actually quite tricky. If you do a google search Sanjay Yoshi, an engineering lecturer at Penn state has a nice graph based website.
As to what is best, what ballast do you have? That is the big start question. FWIW I doubt hte aquamedic bulbs are best on US based ballasts, but work fine for me, as do my staple, BLV aqualines