Metal Halide Question

Aug 2, 2004
Visit site
Hey, I am new and looking into lighting to change my aquarium from freshwater to a saltwater coral tank. I have a 66g tank that is 48x18x18 and I was wondering if 1 250W XM 10,000K MH is enough lighting for corals in this tank. I have a standard flourescent ballast I could use to add some a couple actinic blue lights to the tank if needed. So I just have a couple of questions:

1)If I was to use just 1 MH bulb, along with the 2 NO Flourescents, would this transfer the light throughout the aquarium properly or would it just create a spotlight effect in the middle of the tank? Or would I need 2 of them for a tank of this size?

2)And finally would the 2 standard flourescents used along with the 250w mh provide a good look to the aquarium?

Thanks for the help!

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
well...whether or not that is enough lighting kind of depends on what kind of corals you want to keep. there are a lot of fixtures built for 48in long tanks b/c a standard 55 is 44in. i think for soft corals and maybe some LPS the 250w MH (assuming this is a 48in long fixture) and a couple 50/50 PC bulbs would be a good choice. The NO flouros aren't going to get you much in the way of increased lighting. I think the actinic light will make the aquarium look really good...and if you do plan to keep corals it will not only help them out a little, but also make some kinds flouresce

Nutfarm

Large Fish
Jul 16, 2004
Oregon
go4fun.org
I would expect the single bulb to create more of the spotlight effect. Reflectors could be enough to remedy the problem, but the most intense light will be below the bulb.

As for the corals, you can find corals to fit your lighting in most cases. Some demand intense lighting while others require shaded areas. It really boils down to what kind of corals you'd like to keep.

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
My store uses 3 175 watt metal halide pendants over a 200 gallon coral tank. They do not create a spotlight effect. The combination of a 250mh 10000k and 2 actinic lamps will show off fish and corals nicely. Also almost all corals will go under this lighting.

phantomfe3

Large Fish
Dec 20, 2003
Bemidji, MN
Visit site
if you put just 1 MH on the tank, you would want to put the more light demanding corals right unerneath the light. IMO you shoudl get a 2nd MH and run 1 over each side of the tank, that way you wont have to worry about shading and stuff

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
There won't be much you can't keep under a 250 watt MH, especially in the top half of the tank. Assume 3 feet of decent coverage per MH bulb.