Metal Halide

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
Personally i'd either go 150 or 250. Just so i could get a Double ended (DE) bulb. I'm not much of a fan of the Single Ended (SE) bulbs, though they do come in all wattage sizes and work fine. DE bulbs just seem to be more efficient being fired from both ends.

About that auction, a few things i would question or think about. They don't give much info on the ballast, probably one of the most important parts of a light fixture. Electronic or magnetic? It says its the correct wattage rating but is it? Also, the lumens, its a 20k bulb. Which is fine, though its more blue in color and will not grow coral as well as a 10k would. 14k is a good mix of blue and white....and what i run on my tank. And 10k is more white then blue.

Also another thing. That auction says nothing about a UV Glass shield...a need for any MH.

Its decent i guess, considering bulb is included. You should also take a look at HelloLights. Thats where i got both of my 250w MH Retrofit kits from. Each for about as much as that buy it now price, though not including the bulb. But this way i knew exactly what i was getting and got to choose my bulb.

Have you thought about how you are gonna mount it above the tank? Sometimes its worth it to invest in a premade fixture if you have no way to mount a retrofit kit.

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
Its just glass that protects you and your reef from UV rays that this bright and powerful of light can put out. I believe plain tempered glass is rated for some UV protection. Some bulbs even have it built in.

Usually you only see it on DE bulb fixtures, i should of been more specific sorry.

There is some debate weather it colors coral up more if you don't use one, because they are getting a different ray of light then they usually get. But i plan on playing it safe. Especially when my lights are mounted where i get an eyeful everytime i go to the tank.

EDIT: Just something to think about i guess is why i brought it up. I don't know exactly what it does as far as fish and corals go but i know the point of a UV Sterilizer is to remove UV out of the water to get rid of unwanted pathogens and algaes caused by the UV from sunlight so maybe UV can be harmful to the reef? Not sure. I'd just rather play it safe then sorry especially on a smaller tank. As for harm to yourself this can be minimized without using a UV shield....by using something like a canopy it can block light hitting you in the eyes or whatever when cleaning or looking at the tank.

Last edited:

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
i dont have any protective glass over my mh's nor have i even ever seen one over a se fixture.... a 150w or 175w will work fine on yur tank, a 250w may be a little better however than youll have to deal with heat issues

I thought the UV sterilizers just used pure UV(or close to it, which is why the bulb is an intense violet color, thus ultra violet?) to kill any waterborne pathogens, instead of removing ultraviolet. The UV is like concentrating
which is why it is super bad to look at because it can "sunburn" youe eyes after five seconds of exposure its so powerful.

Anyways, is this a standard 29g? if so, being such a tall tank and a small foot print, i would go with the 250 IMO