MH set up

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
anyone know wat parts do i need for a set up on a 250 watt metal halide?
right now i have a ballast and a capacitor. all pre-wired.

im new at this and it didnt come with a helpful guide....

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
reflector, socket assembly.
For the reflector, you can buy one from an hydroponic store or home hardware, it's like 20$ vs 50. Same thing.
If you don't want one, you can use mylar if you have a top ( i assume you do if you use DIY mh ) but if the distance between the bulb and the mylar is too close it may melt. Mylar = 1$ per feet, 99% reflection.

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
KahluaZzZ said:
reflector, socket assembly.
For the reflector, you can buy one from an hydroponic store or home hardware, it's like 20$ vs 50. Same thing.
If you don't want one, you can use mylar if you have a top ( i assume you do if you use DIY mh ) but if the distance between the bulb and the mylar is too close it may melt. Mylar = 1$ per feet, 99% reflection.

thanks i'll see if theres any good reflectors around.if there isnt then i'll use mylar with a cooling fan.

wats a good socket assembly to get? the ballast is a m58. it doesnt have a plug so wat should i get?

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
Any reflective material is better than not using one. I went with an electronic aro ballast so I can't give you any info on that one. I will say good luck in the wiring process though it shouldn't be too hard.

Make sure you get a grounded plug of the same guage wire. If you are going to be powering a mogul bulb than get a mogul socket. I got my stuff from hellolights.com.

JeLeAk

Large Fish
Jan 4, 2005
Alaska
gauge is a "in the know" way of saying wire thickness

basically you dont want to buy wire smaller than what you already have, because it might melt/catch on fire due to resistance

Coolwaters...I hope you have mounted that ballast in a metal box of some sort, and have a way of cooling the ballast off...such as a small fan, M-57/M-58 ballasts do get rather warm...ok hot...and if tehy get too hot they will shut down for a while, or worse for ever. As for your power cord, I used a 14 gauge exstension cord from Lowes/HD and cut the female end off and wired the other end to my ballast...Actually I have 2 ballasts but its the same for each,
http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/saltwater-general-discussion/42858-bracks-55-gal-journal-sorts.html

You can scroll down and kind of see how I hooked everything up, granted the fans arent installed in these pics but there are 2- 5" 120v fans in the box now, 1 pushing- 1 pulling. The other thing I did, was the female end othe the cord I cut off I used to run from the ballasts to the light sockets, kind of a quick disconnect. You also need to add a way to switch it off on on, besides just plugging it in and un-plugging it.

Last edited:

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
where did u learn how to wire everything?

man im completely new at this and in starting something like this...

the metal box and the fans arent a problem.

just need to know how to wire everything.

Ummm, where did I learn to wire stuff up? :confused: hehehe...I worked as a general contractor/ home builder for 7 years in order to pay my way through college...now I'm a Facilities Engineer at my local children's hospital, been here for the last 5 years or so, and my list goes on ....but lets just say I learned how to do it a long time ago :D *celebrate

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
brack man can u get a better pic of your set up? i want to see if i can match yours with mine. :D

mines probably a 18 gauge wire. so does that mean everything has to be 18 gauge wire? even the power plugs? i got a grounded plug at HD so do i just hook 18 gauge wire on it? or should i get a pre-made power cord?