Mickey Mouse Platy one fin is shorter

May 11, 2009
Hello, I'm new here and also very new to fish. We started our tank with guppies and they all died. We treated the water with a fungus/parasite treatment and about a week later got 4 platies. 3 Sunburst and one Mickey Mouse (by accident but we love her just the same) Well she's always acted a little different, not as active, but not inactive by any means, she just acts like she knows she's different lol. I got up this morning and she was sitting at the bottom of the tank. It took her a while to get to the top, but I've noticed that sometimes they are slower in the mornings (maybe just my imagination but I seem to be waking them up sometimes) Soon she was swimming around like the others, but I did notice that one of her side fins is shorter than the other, so she swims a little crooked. I don't think this is new, I think I am just noticing it for the first time now.

Should I be worried that she has some type of illness, or do you think she is just somewhat deformed? Is this a typical problem in platies?

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
how/why did your guppies die? If you don't know then you should find out because your platies might die the same way. That fin could have either been nipped by the others, or does it look like it's rotting?

Did you even cycle your tank? you should probably get on top of that if you haven't or all your fish will die of ammonia poisoning, etc. Miss Fishy has a sticky on cycling a tank MissFishy's Guide to Fish