Micro-Bubbles

bjmoran

Medium Fish
Aug 9, 2006
Detroit
Hi all .. I have a 30 gallon with a UGF with a powerhead ( 170 GPH ) attached and also a Penguin Bio-Wheel 150 , the tank has cycled nicely and everyone seems very happy , My problem is micro-bubbles every where , so many in fact that I run the powerhead on a timer for 12 hrs a day which Im not sure is a great idea , does anyone have a remedy for these bubbles , my tank looks almost cloudy when the powerhead is running , I also do 5 gallon water changes weekly ( dont know if this matters just some FYI ) .. Thx a bunch !

Sep 11, 2005
Philadelphia
www.myspace.com
I would only assume that if it's not the source water being high in dissolved solids, it's your water conditioner. Sometimes using too much, or using one with a "slime coat" additive causes a certain viscosity in the water and results in the fine bubbles.

It's no worry. It will work itself out no matter what the cause.

bjmoran

Medium Fish
Aug 9, 2006
Detroit
Thx for the info , then I should keep the powerhead on at all times ? And yes your right my conditioner does have a slime coat , im using Aquasafe right now , is there a better product I should be using ?

Thx

Sep 11, 2005
Philadelphia
www.myspace.com
If your powerhead is running a UGF filter, I wouldn't recommend having it shut off for any period of time. The reason is that it can promote anaerobic conditions in the sand bed since it stops the constant clean water flow.

Is there a way you can set it to not produce bubbles? They aren't really necessary so long as there is signficant surface agitation from both that and the filter - in other words, if the water surface has constant rippling and movement, there is oxygen exchange.

Prime is good...I use Amquel and Amquel+. I used to use Aquasafe. I only stopped because of the slime coat additive.

The bubbles, if from Aquasafe just means you're using a little too much or your water is likely on the softer side. Either way it's no worry. Sounds like you have everything well in hand.