Milky Water

Sep 13, 2007
St. Paul, MN
Hi there,

I set up my 29 gal hex last weekend, I put in bio spira and added 4 small angelfish. Yesterday, I got up and found that my tank was really cloudy, it's a milky white color. Any ideas? I've never had this happen before. My other tanks were cycled with fish, so I was wondering if this was something the bio spira does?

seastaar88

Superstar Fish
Feb 1, 2004
middletown, CT
bacteria bloom. it will go away on its own. adding the four angels at once means that your beneficial bacteria needs to play catch-up w/ the bio load.

are you planning on returning two of the angels once two pair off?

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Definitely bacteria bloom. Monitor the water parameters to make sure the ammonia doesn't spike. If it does spike, make sure to do the water changes necessary. The bloom is nothing to worry about, the fish won't even notice. I second the angel returning though, 4 is a bit much for any 29g hex, paired off or not. Hex tanks don't have much surface area, so that really limits your stocking levels.

Sep 13, 2007
St. Paul, MN
I did a 50% water change this afternoon and went out and bought a new filter. The filter I had didn't seem to be working well. It wasn't pushing out the water like it should. It was old. I bought an aqua clear 50. I'm not sure about returning the other two angels. I may just set up another tank for them. I haven't decided yet. They are all still very small, so I have a little time to decide. Thanks for the info!