Mini Cycle in my tank?

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
I just tested my 6 gal Eclipse tank cause one of my amano shrimps just died. Granted it was 2 years old and prob died of old age but I checked the water parameters anyway.

I was a bit surprised to find levels of ammonia and nitirite. My tank has been established for almost 2 years now. I do water changes every week as well as gravel vac.

Is there a reason why my tank would be experiencing this mini cycle? Could my biowheel have been damaged somehow?

How do I help my tank cycle faster at this point? There are some tetras, a dwarf frog, and one amano shrimp in it currently. I know that Cycle doesnt work so well..but other than Biospira...are they other products that really help cycle your tank?

thanks

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
When is the last time you tested your water aside from the most recent time? How many tetras and what kind do you have in this tank?

Seachem's Stability has shown good results with tanks with fish already established in it.

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
I just tested the water 2 hours ago. I havent tested my water in monthes though. Always use dechlor when I do WC. I use either the Kordon Amquel or the Nova Aqua.

I'm pretty sure the test kits are fine..they are the dip strip kind and I got it only a few monthes ago.

I have 5 neon tetras in my tank..they seem to be acting normally.

I just checked my eclipse bio wheel and there seems to be some sorta white powdery residue on the wheel. Like flour? Strange...

I havent used any meds in the tank at all. I do add some liquid fert once a week for the plants in my tank though. I did not overdose.