mini leak again

Mar 9, 2009
Culpeper, VA
www.myspace.com
yup, just filled the tank all the way up again after another grueling 3 hours... i really just want to fix the problem from the outside of the tank, could i get some 100% silicon caulk and fill up the outside part, the base and the top are surrounded with a wood looking plastic, should i just rip the base off, find the leak and just caulk it? do you think if i took off the base it would open up a whole bunch of new leaks or what should i do... emptying it is out of the question

Whiskers

Large Fish
Feb 29, 2008
central Michigan USA
silicone won't stick if surface is wet in the least little bit. sorry to say but you might have to completly drain tank and totally dry it. if its leaking where you fixed it before, i would say you might have to cut out the silicone and replace it. someone else might know of a different way but from my experence with silicones you have to have surface dry, dry, dry. if your in good with your fishy ppl see if they can hold your fish for you. good luck and hope someone else has a easier answer for you.

Whiskers

Large Fish
Feb 29, 2008
central Michigan USA
i don't know if its safe for fish if it applys to wet surfaces. someone else will have to answer that one. try and google it and see what kind you can find but it has to be 100% pure silicone as far as im aware. i read in the salt section where someone used superglue (don't know if it was special kind) and it cures in the water. sorry i just don't have enough knowledge on this one.

Chris_A

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
The only way I know to properly reseal a tank is cut out all the sealing silicone (the stuff in the corners not holding the edges of the glass) and run a bead around the whole thing in one shot. Not only does silicone not like to cure when wet (or as was said already, stick even) but it also doesn't like to stick to pre cured silicone.

Sorry to say, but a complete drain, cut, reseal, cure taking a few days at the least is really your best option. Be sure to leak test on some news paper after, at least a day or so.

Chris

Mar 9, 2009
Culpeper, VA
www.myspace.com
The only way I know to properly reseal a tank is cut out all the sealing silicone (the stuff in the corners not holding the edges of the glass) and run a bead around the whole thing in one shot. Not only does silicone not like to cure when wet (or as was said already, stick even) but it also doesn't like to stick to pre cured silicone.

Sorry to say, but a complete drain, cut, reseal, cure taking a few days at the least is really your best option. Be sure to leak test on some news paper after, at least a day or so.

Chris
haha i didnt want to have to do that but i did, it should be sealed for a life time now