Minimum size for a hujeta gar??

Jan 15, 2012
Okay! So i have a "South American" themed tank but i have a slight fascination to predatory fish. :) So my question is getting a hujeta gar a possibility for my 55g? Im probably going to be getting a bigger tank soon. I just dont know that much about them. But they look awesome! More questions i have are.... How many do i need to have? If well fed will they still chomp other tank mates? How fast do they grow? Do they really only get 7 inches long? ... Im just very curious!

Thanks guys!!

Jan 15, 2012
Thanks soo much! Im getting ready to split my tank. I would like to make it strictly South American tank. So I was looking at getting a 50 breeder. Its has a whole lot more surface area than my 55. Is this a good idea. It is obviously a bit less water, but I think it will be better. They will then be with the Red Hooks, Hatchet fish, Raphael, and bristlenose. Do you think these will all fit as good tankmates?

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
I think you are better off with a 75G with all of those fish. There is a good chance they will all get along if they all have a few spots to call their own. If you where only going to have two fish the 50G might be ok. If I where doing the fish you mention I would put them in a 125G and no less but, that's just my opinion. The 50G will be tight.

Apr 27, 2012
Lexington, KY
I think you are better off with a 75G with all of those fish. There is a good chance they will all get along if they all have a few spots to call their own. If you where only going to have two fish the 50G might be ok. If I where doing the fish you mention I would put them in a 125G and no less but, that's just my opinion. The 50G will be tight.
I agree a 50 seems relatively small for that amount of fish. KcMopar knows what he is talking about. He helped me out with one of my newest tanks and I havent had the slightlest problem with any of my fish. I would def. look into something in the 70-120 gallon range if I was you. With that size you could even get one or two more huejta, they seem to do well in groups. Just my opinion though...