mislead at pet store

Oct 5, 2009
Ks
I have had many 10-20 gallon tanks while growing up and usually just had mollys and goldfish. My husband and I recently got a new 20 gallon tank and thought black fin sharks would be nice. The lady at the store said they would not grow fast and they were fresh water sharks. We were planning to get a larger tank and make it saltwater but not till after christmas. I was doing so reading on the sharks and found that we may have bought them with out the proper care. they are just over 2 inches long and are doing great. We addes salt to the water after it had cycled a few times. The tank has been set up for over three weeks. Now I am unsure of where to go and if I should return them tomorrow (the last day I can do this). We want to get a 50 plus gallon tank, but not sure what needs to be done for saltwater. Any help would be so great.

Feb 27, 2009

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
You likely were sold "Bala Sharks", they are schooling fish that grow up to 12 inches long! I would return them ASAP. They also do NOT do well with salt in the water. Also, a tank does not "cycle a few times" in 3 weeks. I highly suggest you read the link in my signature all about how to cycle a tank properly and return any fish you currently have. Don't take any advice from this pet store, they obviously have no clue what they're doing and are just selling you stuff. Ask any questions you have on here.