Missing Ammonia ?

Apr 9, 2006
College Station, Tx
First a little background.

I am currently cycling a tank with the fish in my sig. I got an amazon plant about 2 weeks ago. I recently added some new light and a diy co2 system and the plant seems to be growing very well.

Last time i checked the ammonia i had about.5 (2 days ago). Now i checked it today and the ammonia was 0 (checked it twice). So naturally i check the nitrites. But lo and behold it to is 0. Is this normal, or is it possible the the plant has sucked up that much ammonia?

rohnds

Large Fish
Apr 23, 2005
Austin, TX (born NYC)
Cycling a planted aquarium.
When cycling the your bacterial colony will grow according to the amount of ammonia and nitrite and even nitrates that is present in your tank. More ammonia, nitrites or nitrates, more bacteria will colonize your bio filter. But if the tank is planted, your planted will consume the nitrogen. And thus it doesn’t give the bio filter a chance to be colonized by bacteria or the bacteria colony to grow.
If the tank is fully planted, it doesn’t (never will) will establish a beneficial bacteria colony. But on the other hand, if your tank is fully planted, your plants are better biological filtration than any other invested. They will consume nitrogen (in NH3, NO2 and NO3) than colony of beneficial bacteria. Thus your tank may already be “cycled”. You nitrite (NO3) level will also be very minimal (lower than non planted tanks).

Rohn

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
rohnds said:
If the tank is fully planted, it doesn’t (never will) will establish a beneficial bacteria colony.
That's really not true. You will have presence of the nitrifying bacteria, in addition to the ammona/nitrite absorption by plants. You can unplant a planted tank, and still have it support fish.

Apr 9, 2006
College Station, Tx
Will it doesnt matter in either case. Since i found out about fishless cycling after i got fish i wasnt able to do it that way. However i later bought a penguin 150 for the tank. I am fishless cycling that in another tank then im gonna switch out the filters. The gravel in the fishless tank will then colonize the older filter ^_^.

Thanks for the help.