Missing an eye

NJmom2002

Large Fish
Nov 30, 2006
NJ
Today I was looking at my fishes in the 29 gallon and noticed that one of my white clouds is now missing an eye. Apparently there is some fighting going on in there but I have no idea which of the fish did this. Will the white cloud be ok with its eye missing. I can imagine it has to be in pain right now. The whole thing is gone. Not just a piece or a nip Ill try and get a picture but Im not good at taking tank pics.

nobody

Large Fish
Sep 26, 2005
Utah
That happened to one of my barbs once. He contined to swim around enjoying life like nothing had happened to him. Your fish should be fine. Just watch out for any signs of possible infection.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
I agree... I had a black neon that lived with one eye for 2-3 years... it was one of the last survivors in my school. It tended to swim so it's good eye was aimed in at the tank/school, and didn't school as well because it probably got picked on.

I would suspect the dwarf gourami out of the fish you have, but I don't know much about diamond tetras so if they're nippy it could be one of them as well.

casshan

Medium Fish
Apr 20, 2007
Modesto, CA
no worries. some have other sensory to get by. hence mexican blind tetra. i dont think it really all tht special over a regular tetra. take the eyes off another tetra and i think u got the same thing

NJmom2002

Large Fish
Nov 30, 2006
NJ
Thanks everyone. I put some melafix in there so that it can heal up some. It seems ok but it tends to bump into the other fish sometimes. I feel bad for the little guy.

I will be more worried if it lost both eyes. It wouldnt be able to get to the food in time, it will bump into the other fish more than other, and will possibly become more endangered than your other fish. I had a cory that had both eyes gone due to a very mean Gourami and it never got food and starved to death. 2 weeks of me not realizing it and bye bye. Just keep an eye out for him and make sure he still has one eye.

NJmom2002

Large Fish
Nov 30, 2006
NJ
Thanks James it has been able to grab food with the others. The other white clouds seem to group around it alot though so I guess thats a good thing. It does swim kinda at an angle now though. I have been adding the melafix everyday since I noticed it. I think im supposed to stop after a week. I think Im going to wait until next week to do a water change though. So that it can heal up some and hopefully it wont get stressed out.