Missing fish

Rogerc

New Fish
Sep 9, 2013
I have a 90 gallon tank with three bumble bee platties. I originally had two but a fry popped up soon after. Couple months later all are fine. One if my original platties does like to hide sometimes for a few days. Now my newest (fry) is almost as big as the others. Thing is I haven't seen it for three days now. I have large ocean rocks and live plants. I even lifted the rocks which have many crater holes but no sign if him/her. The tank is covered. Could it be hiding inside one if the rocks? Thanks

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Welcome to the forum! Missing fish are hard to account for. At the moment I am miss a couple myself. A misconception is that is they are dead they will float, but I have found that isn't always true. Sometimes days later they get stuck on the filter in take, I once had a betta get into a hollow decor and not be able to find its way out so it could breath.- really felt bad about that.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
you may have had a jumper. I recently found one of my labs on the floor next to the tank. he some how jumped out of a little 2 inch by 2 inch square in the hood. I've also found fish behind my tanks. these things happen.

Rogerc

New Fish
Sep 9, 2013
you may have had a jumper. I recently found one of my labs on the floor next to the tank. he some how jumped out of a little 2 inch by 2 inch square in the hood. I've also found fish behind my tanks. these things happen.
Thanks for the reply. No fish on floor. Tank is completely covered.

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
They can be elusive buggers!

Last week during water changes on my tanks, I lost sight of the little Japanese blue guppy in my 10g. All I've got in that tank are 3 silver hatchets, the little guppy and a bunch of shrimp. Usually the hatchets are the jumpers. You've got to be careful with them. Low and behold I caught a flash of color in the hang-on back filter! There was the little blue guppy on the pump side of my aqua-clear 30! He had to swim up the waterfall and get over the media into the other chamber! I've got a sponge over the intake on that filter to prevent tiny shrimplets from getting sucked in.