mixed gourami in same tank

brnttoast

Small Fish
Sep 16, 2006
winnipeg manitoba
i have a pair of blue gourami in 20g with a single male pearl gourami, the pearl has started to fill a cup like he is building a nest, can/will different types of gourami spawn?

and is it wise to mix the types?

i had gone shopping for a mate for him but found none and the blues looked very healty and couldn't pass them up for the price, besides had to use up a store credit on the spot for 6 parrot fish i had tradded in (thats my stick it back to walmart for their abuse story, i caught a sales person selling the parrots as giant dianos for 1.37 a piece, so ofcourse i bought what was left in the tank <insert evil grin here>

I know nothing of spawning habits or interbreeding. I have enjoyed mixing less aggressive gourami species in small aquariums (20-30gal). The great color display is awesome, but what I love the best is the bravado! These boys give a display that rivals a "West side story" including bubbles, saber-rattling and escalation of arms!!!(No fish were harmed in this "tank battle-royal". Your results may very!)

IDunnoWhy

Superstar Fish
Nov 16, 2006
Deerfield, WI
Even though all Gourami come from the same basic family (Labyrinth fish) It doesn't necessarily mean they can breed together.

Gold Gourami Are Trichogaster trichopterus.
Blue Gourami Are also Trichogaster trichopterus.
They could conceivably breed together.

However, a Pearl Gourami is Trichogaster leerii. Pearl Gouramis and a Gold Gouramis could not breed, But if they attempted it, the chances of producing living, quality fry would be quite low.

The key here is to research and find which fish share the same "Latin" names, and purchase accordingly.

I do believe the same can be said across the board.

I hope this helps :D

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Blue and gold gouramis (and opaline for that matter) are different color morphs of the same species (three-spot). They can definitely breed (not sure what color you'd get). Pearls are different species. All are in the same Genus (Trichogaster). Not sure if they can breed, but they probably wouldn't have viable offspring.

It's not necessarily true that different species can't breed together, you can get hybrids of lots of fish, like mbuna, dwarf SW angels, platies/swordtails, etc. But if they're the same species (same species name), they can definitely breed and have viable offspring.

jessey

Large Fish
Dec 25, 2006
Tampa, FL
whether they can breed or not, be sure to watch for aggression within the tank. i'm pretty sure the pearl will get larger than the blue gouramis, but pearl gouramis have a tendency to be shy. and it seems to me that aggression is pretty hit-or-miss with gouramis in general. they are beautiful though, and i'm sure they look great together.. so good luck!