Mixing Live Rock Types

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
This may sound like a moronic question but I was thinking about it and would rather ask then make the mistake and regret the purchase.

I was just wondering if mixing live rock was practical. Im not talking about the biological aspect of the different live rock but more of the asthetic part. I was thinking about ordering 40-50 lbs of fiji and then as a top off and for cool aquascaping order a 35lbs box of marshall island live rock. However I began thinking that this could potentially creat an unbalanced veiwing in the tank because the difference between the fiji and marshall is somewhat noticable.

I want to avoid haveing noticablly different rock in the tank because it could create imo an unbalnaced rock layout (fiji on the bottom with marshall as a top off.....)

Basiclly do I need to stick with either a mix of fiji and tonga or could do you think mixing fiji and marshall would be ok and the only difference in the rock is shape?

Jan 16, 2004
Syracuse, NY
I have mixed rock (fiji, carribbean, probably something else) and its barely noticable, I spread it around really good to give it a balanced look, used the interesting shapes for arches, etc. Should look ok, the difference isnt usually that bad as to make it look unsightly.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I have all Marshall Island in my 75 and a mix of marshall island and fiji in my 20. I think it is probably more beneficial to have a mix as it adds variety and unless you are doing a biosphere type of set up it doesn't make any difference, mixing it makes it estheically appealing also.

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
looks like blending is a good option to go with, Im glad. I really like the look of marshall island but stocking that much with just marshall would break my bank..