Mmmm Frags. ;)

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
So now i do feel lucky. After people said i was lucky to find such good stuff around here, i didn't believe it. Stopped in the LFS today and they were stocked full with a new ORA order.

Theres one more i'm eyeing too, so we will see. ;) 25% off all ORA coral...why not? lol I need to use my credit/gift certificates anyway.

ORA Pearlberry

ORA Dustin's Deepwater. These usually go for $65+ from ORA. This one is a frag from a local, $25. ;)

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
Iam asking this because I dont know the answer, so if the question seems dumb, thats the reason. $65.00 seems alot for something so small, how big does that coral your holding get? It is pretty and you got a great deal on it.

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
Thanks all.

Strout, it gets as large as you let it! Ever seen coral reefs on the discovery channel or something similar? Has the potential to get that large, depending on your water, light, etc.

The reason these frags (ORA brand) are so expensive is because they are aquacultured. Meaning the natural reefs take no damage and i can still get my awesome beautiful coral. Most aquacultured products are more expensive, either because its harder to really farm them or they are stronger and more resistant (more accepting) to different water conditions.

The best example i can give is a wild caught fish thrown into your home tank probably won't fare as well as a tank bred, aquacultured fish would.

Here are some pictures of RC's tank of the month winners, you can see how big their SPS colonies get.
Tank of the Month - January 2008 - Reefkeeping.com
Tank of the Month - May 2008 - Reefkeeping.com
Tank of the Month - July 2008 - Reefkeeping.com
Tank of the Month - August 2008 - Reefkeeping.com

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
LOL well TRe, it just so happens thats the one i am eyeing at the LFS. ;) They had 2. Lemme just say the Red Planets look SWEET in person. Hopefully be picking one of those up with my credit. :)

They also had one of the new Birds of Paradise (it looked like). Really sweet. Green base and purple polyps.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
yea the one lfs i usually get my NSW from had a really nice one but i wasnt willing to shell out the $65 :p it just came out a few months ago so nobody really has frags of it so im waiting till people who've got it grow theres out enough to frag it n sell it for a fraction of what it goes for retail! i guess ive become spoiled because other than fish, NSW, and dry goods i dont buy from the lfs but instead i get all my corals from club members for usually $5-10/frag