mollies

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
that will probably work if the sailfin female is a virgin and there are no other female mollies/guppies in the tank.
Yes Mollies can interbreed with different varieties
Mollies and guppies can interbreed
platys and swordtails can interbreed.

Newman I have no idea what your answer means I am assuming that by virgin you mean she isnt pregnant already or storing sperm from a previous mating?

Last edited:

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
actually i mean she isnt storing sperm from a previous mating. she can store it from only one mating for over 6 diff births. so if shes not opregnant currently, it doesnt mean that she wont be in another month.
I dont believe mollies can breed with swords. it goes like this:
molly+guppy
sword+ platy
reason being that the pairs are from the same family.
hold on...maybe they might try it but only the above pairs will produce healthy, fertile offspring.
sorry i dont know much about molly + uppy, but since im am currently trying to breed platy w/ swordtail in know for sure that that pair can mate sucessfully. they are part of the Xiphophorus family. molly/guppy are Poecilia.
diff families Xipho and Poecilia should NOT be able to make any surviving offspring because they are so different.

I remember also reading that there is some wild molly female species, where the females account for near 100% of the population and they breed with other fish, not just mollies. thats one weird molly species...

Last edited:

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
actually i mean she isnt storing sperm from a previous mating. she can store it from only one mating for over 6 diff births. so if shes not opregnant currently, it doesnt mean that she wont be in another month.
I dont believe mollies can breed with swords. it goes like this:
molly+guppy
sword+ platy
reason being that the pairs are from the same family.
hold on...maybe they might try it but only the above pairs will produce healthy, fertile offspring.
sorry i dont know much about molly + uppy, but since im am currently trying to breed platy w/ swordtail in know for sure that that pair can mate sucessfully. they are part of the Xiphophorus family. molly/guppy are Poecilia.
diff families Xipho and Poecilia should NOT be able to make any surviving offspring because they are so different.

I remember also reading that there is some wild molly female species, where the females account for near 100% of the population and they breed with other fish, not just mollies. thats one weird molly species...
you are correct newman on the mollies and swords I should have explained my post futher. I have never heard of the giving birth to 6 diff litters from 1 breeding the max I have read about and witnessed myself is 3, can you possibly provide link to that info?

As for the molly in the last portion you are speaking of the amazon molly which is a north american native with its range beginning in south Texas, the species is 100% female and mate with other mollies within its range, the interesting part is that the offspring do not share any DNA from the male parent.

I edited my previous post for clarity.

Last edited:

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
yea its such an interesting molly that amazon!
Anyway, ill see if i can find a link to the livebear page that said that, but ive had one sword female in my tank with no males, and she has finished with her thrid brood since i bought her. she is due in a month again (however i have no idea how many broods she had before i bought her)

No idea why this site says up to 8 times, but most livebearer sources say 6.
http://aquariums.suite101.com/article.cfm/care_and_breeding_of_swordtails
breeding section, 4th paragraph.

Heres a site that says 6
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/livebearer/swordtail.php
3rd paragraph.

Last edited:

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
yea its such an iteresting molly that amazon!
Anyway, ill see of i can find a link to the livebear page that said that, but ive had one sword female in my tank with no males, and she has finished with her thrid brood since i bought her. she is due in a month again (however i have no idea how many broods she had before i bought her)
Interesting the most I ever got was 3 (thank god).

As Newman pointed out you can easily go from a few fish to well over 200 fish in a few months. My mollies smallest birth consisted of 60 fry her largest was around 90 that i know of, no telling how many may have been sucked into the filter.