Molly Aggression?

Allie

New Fish
Aug 25, 2008
NM
I am setting up a tropical community tank, and my sister and I have been pining over the pretty mollies at the LPS. She got a tank specifically because she liked the dalmations so much, and I definitely want to add one or two. However, I have been hearing that they have some aggressive tendencies towards smaller fish *crazysmil, even the females which I was leaning more towards in hopes of a sweeter disposition. I've also heard that this feisty streak only grows stronger with age. My sister already has guppies and I also have a male guppy, two danios, and two corys, with plans to build their schools up. Does anyone have any experience with Mollies in community tanks? Thanks

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
My experience with mollies is that the females are the aggressive ones, males arent really aggressive they just are always in the mood if u know what i mean, so they pester the females to death. I had some females that werent aggressive but i had one that i had to removoe from my community tank because she was mean..pregnant to, not sure if had anything to do with her attitude problem but she almost killed another female.

If you do buy a female becareful because if she is preggo when you get her they can produce fry fonce evry 4 weeks or so for 3 months after mating and i believe they can store sperm even longer until conditions are right. These can quickly over populate a tank.