molly ok?

hyeone

Small Fish
Mar 15, 2005
both of my mollies seem like they are under a lot of stress. they dont swim around like they use to and they tend to run away each time i feed them unlike before. one of the mollies tends to stay real close to, im guessing, her babies and the other one stays right next to the filter, nibbling on it. any ideas?

10 gallon tank
2 guppies
2 silver mollies
23 fry(in seperate inclosure, but in same tank)

hyeone

Small Fish
Mar 15, 2005
i checked the ph level and thats a little low but slowly getting normal. the mollies are breathing really fast. im guessing thats a big problem. im heading to the pet store after work, what are some things i should buy?

Jadenblack

Large Fish
Mar 14, 2005
Vacaville, CA
www.gotpitbull.com
Someone may correct me here but if you can "see" the ick it is already in the tank.

You could try a salt bath, or take the mollies out and medicate them.

I still think the tank is going to need to be treated.

Mollies need salt in their water, which will also help keep the nasties away.

hyeone

Small Fish
Mar 15, 2005
well one of my mollies died before i could get home :( and the other one is slowing fading away. is it possible that something has spread already? anyway of preventing it from happening again?

Cave

Small Fish
Mar 26, 2005
You'll definitely need to treat the tank for ich or you'll be plagued with it for weeks to come. Add some salt to the water, raise the temperature a little and treat the water according to the instructions on whatever medication you buy. You'll need to continue the treatment for at least a week. Ich has a fairly complex life cycle and only during one stage of it can it be effectively killed - the parasites already on the fish are actually not affected by normal water treatment. By raising the temperature of the tank you speed up the lifecycle of the parasites and they'll become exposed to the treatment faster.

hyeone

Small Fish
Mar 15, 2005
ok. i appriciate the input. the other molly is still alive, suprisingly. i see more vivid black dots on its fins now too. i have guppies too, the salt wont effect them, right?

hyeone

Small Fish
Mar 15, 2005
well i checked the nitrate and ammonia levels and they seem ok. ammonia was a little high but i added some salt and i plan on changing the water tomorrow. also, some stress coat was added. i checked up on the molly in the other tank and its tail is like shedding off. on the fin on top of it, there are a lot of black spots. any ideas waht this could be?
also, when adding medication, it says to remove the carbon in the filter..should i just take out the carbon and let the water go through just the filter?
im a big nooB when it comes to this stuff, any help is appriciated!

Last edited: