Molly Syndrome?

Dec 8, 2005
Harrison Twp. Michigan
The last two mollies that I had purchased were in my tank for a few weeks, and then they suddenly were found dead. The first molly was found dead a bout two weeks ago, and the second was found today. There were no visible signs of disease, and the water chemistry is all normal with the exception of my nitrate level being at about 15 still.

I find it rather odd that the mollies are having a problem adjusting bc I have an old woman that I've had for about 6 months and she's doing completely fine in the tank, it's just the younger ones that I purchased that don't survive long.

Anyone have any ideas on how to prevent this? Or what is causing it?

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
well I could be wrong, but I think it is hard for some fish to cope with the switch. Wait for someone to confirm/reject my thoughts, but it could just be too stressful.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
You may want to check your PH with the water the fish have been in at the fish store. Also ask them about the salt content of their water, it could be that going straight into your salty tank is slowly killing them...although I've not heard of this happening. Sounds like it might be an acclimation problem if everything else is as it should be, how are you adding the fish to the tank?