Moonlight Gouramis

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
OK, Someone on another forum mentioned that the moonlights tend to be timid and would probably have problems with opalines and golds in the same tank. I checked out a few sites and I am getting both sides of conflicting info, one site said they can be extreemly aggressive, one site said they are extreemly timid and rarely come out of hiding, and the others pretty much lump them in with other gouramis. Anyone have any or care to comment?

Jul 6, 2004
Massachusetts
Visit site
I've never owned one, but I've heard that moonlights are less "tough" than other gouramis. Gouramis in general do not tend to get along (males in particular). My guess is that you'd be okay if you were sure to get all female gouramis, but then again, you might stumble upon one of those particularly aggressive females.

So, IMHO, if you were sure to make sure you had at most 1 male, you'd be okay if you did it with caution.

fishlover1

Large Fish
Jan 24, 2006
i have a moonlight and a opeline in the same tank and they are fine. i never had any trouble with them two. the opeline and my other one that i dont kno the name of always fight after they cant find any more food.

the platinum:

heres the opeline looking for food, the red dwarf got bloated and died:( .

the unknown fish:

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
Wow, nice to see someone else with normal gouramis and dwarf gouramis! Your mystery actually looks like the moonlight to me, a male at that, but I have only seen pictures and read about them, never owned one.

How do the paradise fish do in a community?

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
Oh, also, I knew I HAD TO HAVE the moonlights somewhere, but after knowing how fully stocked my tank will be and hearing alot of people with bad experiences, with the number of gouramis I am planning on, I have just decided to move them over to the neon tank, so I WILL have them, but have less to worry about. I think the neons will contrast well with them too. :)