More stock in our overstocked?

Jan 1, 2010
Our little 5.5 gallon tank is a total house of cards waiting to come crashing down.

We don’t quarantine livestock or plants. We used to buy from everywhere, even disease-laden PetSmart and PetCo. The tank is basically a revolving door. Sometimes we throw a fish in there and it ends up too aggressive, and then we pull it out. There have been dozens of fish in our tank over the last 4 months and we’ve probably donated half of them back to the store

Right now there are 16 fish:
1 Fancy Tail Guppy
1 Platy
6 Ember Tetras
2 Scarlet Badis
2 Cory pygmaeus
1 Otocinclus
2 Amano Shrimp
1 Cherry Shrimp

The inhabitants come from 3 different LFS, 2 different PetSmarts and a PetCo. We’ve had sword plants (a misinformed purchased) and PetCo plants (misleadingly-labeled as aquarium plants that research proved were actually terrestrial plants.) Now, we have proper, low-light, low maintenance plants, but they’re also proving to be a handful – not sure how much we should dose, etc.

Even with 15 years of fish keeping under my belt, it’s been a while since I had a tank and I’m finding that I’m relearning it all over again. A lot has changed with the hobby. I mean, back then undergravel was all the rage, which is why I regretfully installed an undergravel filter.

That said, so far we’ve dodged the bullet a bunch of times and we've really pressed our luck. There have been 2 occurrences of ich (1st time only the embers got it; 2nd time only the otos got it) and we treated both by just turning up the heat and no medication or salt. A platy was on its deathbed with a bad internal bacteria infection, but it seems to be near full recovery with just water changes (also no meds). There was an outbreak of hair algae on a lot of plants but that seems to have subsided. And the tank was overrun with snails, but the population seems to have been exterminated.

But how do you know if your fish are healthy and happy? In our tank, all the fish are very active and peaceful. They show great colors—much deeper than when they came from the store. They eat voraciously. The water parameters remain steady between weekly water changes.

We’ve gone to great lengths and some expense into creating a nourishing home for the fish by providing lots of live plants, natural shelters and two filters, including a canister filter.

Here are the plants:
Lots of Standard Java Fern
1 Finger Java Fern
1 Needle Java Fern
1 Anubias
1 Petite Anubias
3 pieces of driftwood covered in Java Moss

Here are the filters:
Undergravel filter
Eheim 2211 attached to UGL
Aquaclear 20 HOB

My primary concern is the Cory pygmaeus. There are only two. They seem to be much happier in schools. I’d also like to get some frozen bloodworms or the Hikari Freeze Dried Bloodworms (does anyone have a preference?)

But I don’t really want to feed another type of food just for two cories and risk overfeeding the entire tank and throw off water conditions. So should we add a few cories? Or will that be straw on the camel ‘s back?

Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
First, I recommend researching a fish before adding it. It's never a good idea to just plop a fish into a tank, especially a tiny 5.5 gallon. I would not add any more fish. You are way too overstocked! According to aqadvisor, your tank is 238% overstocked! Please return over half of your fish to the store or upgrade to at least a 15 gallon tank! Your fish cannot be happy and healthy in such a cramped space with questionable water conditions. All of your fish will eat bloodworms, not just cories. Are you feeding the cories sinking food? What are your exact water parameters?

Last edited:

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
over stocked is over stocked no matter what the difference in numbers is. a better level for you is 85-90% stocking...you should NOT push your luck in a small tank like that. one drop of windex will wipe out your entire tank. that is just an example but you can apply that to anything else you can think of. I know that seemed like a random thing to say but the point is that a tiny tank like that has NO room for error. judging by your experiences and the mistakes that were made, there are plenty more mistakes to come unless you realize what you're doing wrong.

And pygmy cories will be ok in a pair because you should not really get any more fish period. they will eat Hickari Carnivore catfish pellets at night if you drop one pellet in for them once the lights in the tank and the room are out. otherwise the other fish will out compete.

Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
I agree with Orange. KillaGuppy, you are not listening to us. You CANNOT have happy OR healthy fish if your tank is overstocked. You especially cannot have healthy fish if you continue to add fish to an overstocked tank. You say you care about your fish, and if you really do want them to be happy, please take most of your fish back to the store, or get a 15 gallon tank. We have already answered your question on how to know if your fish are happy or healthy.

Jan 1, 2010
Well, thanks for the responses.

I spent time writing up the original posting of this thread, because I was hoping for a more informed discussion, instead of replies dripping in sarcasm.

I’m especially curious to find out what it is that determines whether a fish is “happy” or not. I've seen plenty of 50+ gallon tanks with 3 or 4 2" fish that look miserable.

We have Ember Tetras and Scarlet Badis. Those fish are easily blanched when stressed. At the store, the Embers were practically translucent and the male Badis had clamped fins and were so washed out, it was hard discerning them from the females.

In our tank, the fish show fantastic coloration, and we don’t have a black background or anything to make them look better. Our Cherry Red Shrimp looks like a cooked lobster–that’s how red she is. The sick fish have also gotten better without medication.

We have a canister filter rated for up to a 39 gallon tank and HOB filter for a 20 gallon. We have tons of plants.

I’m also going to throw out that when we get a fish that’s not compatible, we bring it back to the store. Even if it’s for $2 fish. The store is 15 mile away. Gas is $3.30 per gallon around here. That’s about $6+ of gas just to bring a fish back. Not to mention wear and tear on the car and the hour of travel time.

Anyways, thanks for reading this. Happy fish keeping, everyone.

By the way, this thread should’ve been in the Freshwater General section, I mistakenly started it in the Freshwater Beginner section. Guess that alone means I’m a newbie.

Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
Just because you saw a couple fish looking "unhappy" in a large tank doesn't mean that large tanks are bad. Plenty of factors contribute to fish happiness.

1.) A proper living space. If you have many fish crammed into a tiny space, as you do, it is highly unlikely that they are happy. They may show bright colors, but this does not dictate that they are happy.
2.) Clean water. Clean water is nearly impossible to maintain in a tank as small as yours. I have difficulty with clean water with a 5 gallon tank and only 3 small mollies! And my tank is only temporary!!!
3.) Shoaling. It is difficult or impossible to keep groups of similar species in such a small tank together. Fish can feel stress when they are not with their own species.
4.) Human interaction. Yes, this one seems a bit odd, but fish such as bettas actually benefit from human interaction. Even if your fish just chases your finger along the glass, it is healthy for them. Fish love seeing their keepers.

There are many other factors, but these are just a few.

I do consider you a newbie because you are making common mistakes that every newbie makes: overstocking a tank and/or not cycling the tank.

It doesn't matter how many plants and how strong your filtration is. Overstocked is overstocked and you can only make it better by getting a bigger tank. Let's assume that this is the best case scenario and your water is perfect. Even with perfect water in a small tank, your fish will be so cramped that they will experience stunted growth AND organ failure. Stunted growth is extremely unhealthy even without organ failure! It's like crushing a small puppy into a vase just so it will stay small forever. The dog's fur and teeth may look healthy, just as your fish are showing bright colors, but cramming a creature into a small space is immoral and causes obvious health issues.

It's good that you take the fish back, but you NEED to research all fish before you buy them. Fish are just like any other pet. I wouldn't go to the pet store to buy three cats if I never owned a cat in my life and had no idea how to take care of them. Research is key!!!

Last edited: