Most humane way?

Chris89

Medium Fish
Aug 5, 2006
Fort Lauderdale
My 2 year old betta fish has recently become very sick. I have no idea whats wrong with him, but he just keeps laying on the bottom of his tank and it seems that he can't swim. Whenever I drop flakes in the tank, he trys his best to swim to the top but just sinks back down, and I havn't seen him go to the surface for air in days. At this rate, I think he will probably starve if his illness doesn't get to him first...I was wondering, what would be the most humane way to kill him so he doesn't have to suffer anymore?

Lonewolfblue

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Wenatchee, WA
www.nw-wolf.com
One method people use is take water and put it into the freezer to get real cold. But don't freeze it, get it near freezing. Then put the fish in the water, and place in the freezer. He will suffer very little, and die almost instantly from the shock, then freeze him and then dispose as you see fit.

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Knife immediately behind the gill plate, bagged then smacked hard either by something or on something or clove oil (for the squeamish) are all fast, effective ways. The blender works great also but has ramifications if your company ever finds out. ;)

Have you tested the water and rule dout any other possible causes? Good luck with the little guy.

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
Why not use a knife? Its how you clean a fish after fishing? Seems ok and reasonable to me. I know its different after having them in our tanks but still...

I still disagree about the water being a humane treatment...even if there is a huge temp difference.

The blender and the smacking is very quick, very painless....isn't that the whole point?

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Can we please not have this discussion again? Everyone feel free to leave the way that they choose to euthenize fish...and leave everyone else's ways alone? If you'd like to read this discussion feel free to do a search for related subjects using the search function.

Personally I'm too squeamish for the knife thing, can't even clean fish after fishing (thats what dad's are for heh I'll fish, catch, cook and help clean up as long as someone else cleans).

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Chazwick said:
I'm totally against the blender for one thing =[
And never just flush the poor guy unless you're sure he's dead...
Smacking them is also pretty harsh =[

I'm not squeamish, i'm just humane.
Flushing is sending a fish straight to Hell, so NEVER do that.

As for the other methods I described -- it can be tough for the smacker, the smackee is gone in nanoseconds well before they can even register pain, which is the point of the exercise in the first place. (you can't be wimpy about it, if you gotta do it, do it right) I don't enjoy it when I have to do it but it's the price we pay when we keep beings which live much shorter lives than ourselves and is much more preferable than allowing them to linger and suffer.

Fast and effective euthanasia = humane

Clove oil in water works also, but it's advisable to cut the head off afterwards to ensure the job was well done.

It's never easy but it gets easier the longer you're in this hobby.