moving 80 miles with my fishies

Dec 8, 2004
Visit site
and NoDeltaH2O, i know this is nothing compared to your 3,000 miles. *twirlysmi anyway- as most of you know, my 10 gallon with 4 female bettas and 2 black mystery snails is for my college dorm room. i'm moving into the dorms in mid-september, and it's about an hour and 15 minute drive and then some time to move all my luggage into the dorm. and as most of you know again, i work at a petshop where i have an unlimited supply of betta cups/fish bags. now my question is- how to i transport my babies? i know that bagging them will make it easier to float them in the tank, but cupping them will give them unlimited oxygen because i punch holes in the lid. i'd rather bag them- will they be okay in a bag that long? how about the snails? whichever way i go, im going to stick the cups/bags into a big cardboard box with foam peanuts in it to keep the stuff in place so that they will stay calmer since it's dark. i know im being picky, but i just want my fishies and snails to be comfortable. :)

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I think they'd be fine in bags, you just want to make sure that you have enough oxygen in there. I dont suppose you could stop by your work and inject some O2 into the bags before you leave? Putting them in cups with holes punched would work...except for the splash factor...you'll have water all over the place probably :) NOT that it'd be that big of a deal...either way I'm sure you'd be fine.

The snails will be fine...they just need to stay damp.

Good to think about things ahead of time...and this time of year moving I'd say your biggest challenge is probably going to be the temperature.

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
Not everyone is as unlucky as me when it comes to moving! :)

I would opt for the bags too, since splashing happens way more than we think it does. I actually lost two beautiful Siamese Algae Eaters to splashing (either that, or them goofy buggers jumped looking for cooler waters outside of the rubbermaid tubs!!!)

BAGS, definitely. Besides, they were probably in bags for 24 hours flying in from Thailand before you bought them.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
When we take fish to auction or send them overnight, we usually use Bag Buddies, which help keep the water good and also have a mild sedative in them. You just drop them in the bag, and they make the water go a little blue. You don't have to use them, the fish will be fine in a bag for a few hours.

If the fish store you work at gets its fish in Styrofoam boxes, I'd use a couple of those, as they help keep the fish insulated from temperature changes while they're in the bags.

As you have an unlimited supply of bags, be generous, and only put one or two fish in each bag.

Dec 8, 2004
Visit site
oh they're each going to get their own bag lotus, dont worry :) there's only 4 of them. so i guess i'll bag them and then look for a styrofoam box. our store just receives them in cardboard boxes, so im not sure if we have any

thanks for all the info!