Moving fish & cycling

Jul 26, 2012
Chicago, IL
So I've got 2 huge questions.
First off, I'm moving from Illinois to Texas in 4 months time. I know it's a whiles away but I'd prefer to be prepared with this. I've never moved fish this far and this is where the problem comes into hand. I'd prefer to take these guys with me as I've come pretty attached to them. 2 of the 3 are a bit large and I know keeping them in the tank is a no-go.

How do I go about safely moving 3 fish across the country?
My pleco is about 6 inches long, my rainbow shark is about 3 inches long, and my pearl danio (I believe that's what he is at least) is about 1 1/2 inches long.

Second question being, since I am moving them a far distance and can't keep their already cycled water in the tank - how do a go about quickly cycling or even moving their water?

Like I said, I've become attached to these guys and I'd like to keep them but I want to do this safely.
I don't trust anyone around here with my fish.

Dec 14, 2011
WI
It's not the water itself that you need to worry about. Keeping the substrate, decorations, and filter cartridges wet should be enough to keep the beneficial bacteria alive, which is what keeps your tank cycled. As for moving your fish, I think it depends on how long it will take you to move. You could have them mailed to you, or if it will only take you a day, perhaps just packing them up like you're going to mail them and taking them with you.

Feb 27, 2009
I moved 8 aquariums of fish from Iowa to Texas over a year ago, with only 1 loss (and I suspect a shrimp accidently packed in the bag killed the rasbora).

Bag Buddies and Kordon breather bags work really well. My fish and shrimp were packed into 37 bags and the bags put into a cooler (more for warmth, as I was moving in February), and lived 9 days like that.

Jul 26, 2012
Chicago, IL
So with keeping my filter cartridge, substrate, and decorations wet I won't have to wait a month? That's good. I was worried I would have to wait the month as I don't want to keep them bagged up for that long.

The move isn't long. It's about a 19 hour drive if not stopping. So with stops about 1 full day traveling wise.
Would putting them in separate bags be the best way of going about this?

Dec 14, 2011
WI
I would keep the stuff moist, and then keep a close watch on your parameters once you get your tank set up again. You might go through a mini cycle, so just be prepared to do water changes often if that happens.

OC's way is probably best, and yeah, I'd put them in separate bags. I feel like they tend to be less stressed out if they're not bumping into each other, and they're less likely to get hurt that way too.

Feb 27, 2009
I always separate fish, except for a shoaling species. With those, I put 4 or 5 in one bag so they feel more 'safe.' The Bag Buddies color the water blue, so it make them feel like they are hiding in murky water, and this reduces stress too.

Dec 14, 2011
WI
Here's a question for you, OC.. I'm looking to get another bristlenose and possibly a couple swordtails tomorrow, but we probably won't be leaving the city for awhile after I pick them up. If I find these Bag Buddies that you're talking about, and put them in the bags with the fish, how long would you say they could stay in a vehicle for?

MdngtRain

Large Fish
Jan 9, 2011
New England
Even when the weather outside isn't that hot, it can get quite hot in the car. If you are planning on keeping them in the car for any period of time, consider bringing a cooler with you to help keep the temps a little more regulated (tho I am not sure how well that works without a cooling agent in the cooler itself. I have had many of them heat up quite a bit in the car...). Best bet would be to take them with you indoors (or to a temp-regulated place). I don't know how well they do in the regular bags for extended periods tho...