Moving from a 20 gallon to a 55 gallon planted - Cycling?

Oct 31, 2004
Chicago
Visit site
I received great advice when I originally planned to move from a 20 gallon to a 55 gallon tank.

Here is the thread:
http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/showthread.php?t=32632

However, now I think I want to make the new tank a planted tank. How does that affect cycling? I'm assuming that I will still move all of the fake plants, current filter (Whisper 30), heater, and decorations to speed things up.

What about the gravel? Should I mix it with the substrate? Should I just put the gravel in a bowl and remove it after the tank cycles? Should I not even bother with the gravel?

The new tank came with a Whipser 60 and I just ordered a new Rena XP2. Should I put the Whisper 60 in the current tank (if it will fit) for a month or two to build up good bacteria.

I currently have the basic community fish: Mollies, Tetras, Guppies, and Cory's in the tank. My plan is that once the tank cycles I'll slowly add the bigger fish and go through mini-cycles.

Or, should I just get Bio-Spira and stock it right from the beginning?

Thanks again for your assistance.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
All of the above things (gravel in a bowl, fake plants, running the filter on another tank) will all speed up the cycling greatly. I've done fishless cycles this way on tanks and they have been cycled in around 10 days.

I would rather wait 10 days than spend out on Bio-Spira. The time you wait for the cycle gives you time to make sure the tank isn't leaking, that all the filtration is working, and gives you time to aquascape without worrying about fish getting stressed.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I think your best bet is Bio-Spira, in that case. I personally wouldn't do the other way, as it will probably give you ammonia/nitrite spikes. If you run a second filter on your original tank for a month, you could probably do it without a major problem, though.

Basically, taking absolutely everything from one tank to another (fish, all decorations, all gravel, all filters) and putting them in another tank shouldn't give you a cycle, but if you're only partially transferring, you will have nitrite and ammonia spikes, which can lead to disease and a shorter life for your fish.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
As far as I see it, the advice you got from the other thread wouldn't change because youre planning on adding plants. If anything the plants will help a lot in keeping levels down if you did get any spikes (as long as they're healthy and growing).

Are you keeping the 20 up? If you are, might be nice to just leave them in there and then aquascape the new tank with the new filters...would be nice to have that time (like lotus said)

Oct 31, 2004
Chicago
Visit site
Froggy,

I wasn't planning on keeping the 20 gallon tank. My plan was to get the 55 up and running and just transfer everything over. I was hoping to do all that in the same day. That's what I was hoping to find out in the first post.

I truly made every newbie mistake I could have made in the first tank. I don't want to make the same mistakes in gettting the new tank running. Since I'm hoping to move from a non-planted to a planted it will just add another layer of complexity in an area I have not had any experience in.

This board is fantastic and there is a lot of great information and a lot of sharing of information by everyone. I've read almost every thread on cycling, planted tanks, and lighting. However, as we all know reading, comprehending, and applying can be three totally different things. :) :) :)

I really do appreciate folks like you and Lotus sharing your expertise. It's always best to learn from someone who has gone through it before. I hope it will keep me from screwing this one up.

Thanks!