Moving...how to move my fish??

Sep 24, 2008
So I'm going to be moving in 1 - 2 months...and I'm not sure if I'm going to keep my tank or get a new one...I thought it would be easier to get a new tank so that I can start cycling the new one, while the fish are still in my old place...and when I'm done moving everything else I can move the fish...
I'm not sure if I can afford a new tank though, will all of the other expenses of the move...
I also know that if I get a new tank I cant do a fishless cycle quick enough for the move....so I have a few questions.
1. Is it better to just drain the water out of the current tank, and keep all the gravel and filter media....take out the fish....transport the tank and then add water and put them back in?? I know the filter media and the gravel will keep some of the bacteria.
2. Is it better to just get a new tank?? And if I do are there ways to speed up the cycling process?? I can add gravel or decorations or both?

Any advice on the move would be great! Thanks in advance!

Oct 11, 2008
Actually, I was just about to post the same question as I will be moving on about the same time. I've been told if you can get a new tank and move some of the matter (rocks, plants, etc) to the new tank it will speed up the cycle. Also, I was told if you do this then in just a couple of days you could add a couple of hardy fish, such as platys and such to help with the cycle. Hopefully someone with a bit more knowldge than myslef will post somethign that will help us both. Good luck!

150gal tank
5 tiger barbs
5 black skirt tetras
1 pleco
2 red wag platys
2 sunburst platys
1 bala shark

bunker_1

Large Fish
Mar 24, 2008
Cincinnati
First of all, never ask anyone here if you should buy a new tank. The answer is always YES!
How far are you moving. From what you said it is not very far. You should drain most of the water to decrease the weight. But you do not want the gravel or filter to dry out. So leave a little water in the tank and put the filters face down in the water during the move.
If/When you geat a new tank, use a filter and some gravel from the one that is up now. It will cycle the tank very fast.

Meghan

Large Fish
Feb 27, 2008
Lynchburg, Va
Yeah, Brian and there are a few others as I recall that have needed to move with their fish- maybe try doing a search to find the threads.
I would think that as long as you keep the gravel & filters wet, as bunker said, that the bacteria would be fine and you can just re-set it up at the new place with new water- remember the bacteria lives in the filter media & gravel- not the water. The fish should be fine. You may have a small mini cycle, but nothing major I don't think...

Good luck :)

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
Brian is the guy you want to talk to. He just moved all of his tanks and fish a thousand miles. Ok, I don't know how far he moved but it was a ways
LOL..it was a little over 1200 miles..while mine was a long distance it was only 2 days from the time tanks were broke down to being set back up. There is another moving thread from a guy that moved across country, I dont know where it is within the forum but here is a link to my thread.
http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/freshwater-general-discussion/53722-journal-moving-1200-miles.html