moving, need help!

bsmall05

Large Fish
Nov 8, 2006
Newport News, VA
i knew i would run across this problem eventually, but christmas break is quickly approaching and i need to bring my 10g and all of my fishies on the 2 1/2 hour drive home. i want to do this with as little stress on my fish as possible. i have NO idea how im going to manage this. if anyone can help i would really really appreciate it! thanks guys!!

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
You can just drain the tank down to right above the gravel (if you keep the gravel & filter wet, you shouldn't have a cycle) and put the fish in a plastic fishy bag (you can probably get one or two from the LFS). Take all the decorations out of the tank first, it'll make catching the fish much easier. Try to have the tank the last thing you break down, and then set it up first when you get home. They'll be fine for 2 1/2 hours in the car, and then another hour or whatever while you set up the tank again for them.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
They should all be fine in 1 or 2 bags, they don't need to be separate (unless you have a couple that really hate each other...). Depending on how much gravel you've got, you should only have like 1" or less of water in the tank when you move it... just leave enough so that the gravel is wet. It doesn't even need to be over the top of the gravel, but it doesn't hurt if it is.