moving

FreddyJ

Large Fish
May 5, 2006
Funny/Tragic little story I thought of when I read your headline...When I was living in the dorms I was waiting until the very last moment to move my little gallon beta/african frog bowl (one of each) to my new apartment. Turns out that moving makes you hot so I opened the window and moved all the boxes with the intention of coming back the next day to transfer the fish. Well, it turned out to be the coldest night on record for May up here and when I came back to the dorm room to fetch my fish it was freezing cold and they were frozen solid. Poor little guys. Good luck moving them!! And don't forget to close the windows! ;)

'-JIN-'

Large Fish
Mar 21, 2006
Penang,Malaysia
u need alot of ppl to carry da tanks.worst think is ur tank is weel planted 1.is urs planted??if u r moving try to reduce their stress,put them in a plastic bag with air inside and they can swim freely about 3 in a bag then if it is a big 1 like oscar,1 in a bag,close those bags with with newspaper.Put it in a dark bag so now sunlights can enter.The less u shake it da beta.bt da worst was ur 70g tank is too big to remain half volume of water in it.so try pac all da water frm ur tank into bags,as many as posibble,cause if they hav stress u put them into different condition water it will worsen it.bt anyway gd luc........last time i see my father move my tanks to da third floor with da help of 6 ppl.lol........i think is ok if u dun get panic urself...hehez gd luc.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
You need to empty the water out of the tanks (obviously), down to just above the gravel... if you keep the gravel wet, the bacteria will stay in it and you won't have a new cycle. Also keep the filter material wet. Always transport a tank flat on it's bottom, or the different stress can crack it (not sure this matters as much with acrylic).

You can just bag the fish and they should travel well. Since they'll be out for a while during you setting the tank back up, you probably want to put them in a cooler or styrofoam shipping container to keep them warmer. With the big fish, you can even use a clean trash bag inside a bucket (like a 5g bucket or a kitty litter bucket), tied of course... you might be able to move all the 70g fish inside the same bucket.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I love the 5g buckets with the lids...poke some holes in the top. Its not so terrible to move tanks...but I dont think its very high up on anyone's list of fun things to do ;)

How far are you moving?