Moving

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
In about a month, I'm moving, and so are my fish. By this I mean they're going with me from my apartment now to my new apartment across town, but also getting re-homed from a 55 gallon to a 40 breeder and a 10 gallon, but of which I have purchased, but haven't really set set up. I have had a AquaTech 30-60 HOB filter in the 55 gallon since I set it up, and plan to use this as the filter in my 40 gal. I also have a 5-15 HOB running in the 55 gallon to help grow the bacteria before running this filter in my 10 gallon for when I re-home my platys (this tank currently has two bettas in it).

My two leases are going to overlap for about two weeks, so I planned on setting up my 40 gallon, bringing the fish across town, taking down the 55 gallon and passing it on to someone who's already agreed to buy it from me once it's empty.

This is where I get into not having so well of a plan...

I know the point of cycling a tank is to grow the beneficial bacteria in the filter, and that during this process the levels of harmful substances in the water will spike and fall several times. So, in setting up my 40 gallon (as well as adding the 'cycled filter' to my 10 gallon), should I expect similar reactions? It makes sense to me that I wouldn't need to cycle the tanks since I've already 'cycled' the filters, but I'd hate for the fish to die because I don't understand something.

Any advice on what's the best way for me to go about making this move?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Yes, you may get spikes in the new tanks. Setting up the filters now is a good idea. If you're selling off the gravel/plants/decoration, you're more likely to see those spikes. You should be able to control them with water changes and some Ammolock.

A lot will depend on how heavily you're stocked in your 55g.

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
I'm selling off the gravel in order to change to sand, but I'm keeping my two plants as well as all the current decorations. I'm not too stocked in my 55, less than 10 livebearers and a few small tetra species. I'll just move as much water directly from my old tank to my new tank by transporting buckets, and try to keep an eye on the spikes.

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
Okay, thanks.

I've been contemplating a thin layer of my old gravel underneath my sand. Would you recommend this as far as keeping more bacteria, or is it really not a big deal?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
If you want to keep some gravel, it's a good idea. However, don't put it under the sand--it needs to be in the water flow. You can either put the gravel in an old pair of pantyhose or other mesh bag, or put a tupperware container of it in the bottom of the tank. Both are temporary, of course. Once the tank has been up a few weeks, you can get rid of the gravel.

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
So I just moved 3 tanks. What i did was....

Got large garbage cans with lids, (50gal garbage cans used for outside garbage) and took as much water as possible across town with me.
After the water is in the cans, take the filter media out of your existing filters, SWISH the snot out of it into your garbage cans of fish water, try to get as much of the brown muck into the water you are taking with you, the brown muck is fish waste and bacteria, dump it into your tanks once across town then turn on the filters, they will suck up the gunk and the bacteria will be in your new tank. It will really help establish your new tanks.

Set up your tanks and bag your fish with TONS of air, it may be worth going to your LFS and buying the bags they bag fish in, maybe they will just give you a few (mine gave me some) lay the bags on their sides and transport in a cooler so they don't get too hot/cold. you should be good, a well bagged fish can hang out in the bag in a dark cooler for 24 hours +/- although i wouldn't push it that much.